Thursday, June 1, 2017

The Full Machete (Wesley College Style)

Man, sometimes I think I got out of the college prof gig at the right time:

Hard to watch, really.

One little nudge and these people will start wielding machetes in the Rwanda style.

This takes me back to my halcyon days at Wesley College in the mid 90's.

My friends and I, Paul, Ben, Lorna, Chris, Kenya, Jen and a few others were student activists. We had good reason.

When we arrived in 1992 anyone could see that Wesley needed work. Actually it was just coming off some labor unrest, a bunch of profs got fired, there were protests and law suits and some such. The admin wasn't putting a lot back into the campus and it showed. The campus was dead. we joined a frat out of sheer ennui.

Anyway, throughout the fall and spring of my freshman year the head of the Poli-sci department kept talking to us kids about taking action to make the campus better. Ahhh, Tony....he's the subject of another post.

Eventually Tony got through to us. A bunch of us got elected to the Student Government. We (I) wrote furious editorials. We had our own underground newspaper. We don't have said editorials and newspapers now and imagine they'd be difficult to read. We generally made a nuisance of ourselves. To be honest we're not really sure what we actually accomplished.

We even arranged a meeting with the president and the college admin. It actually went well. It was nothing like the travesty above. Everyone sat down, we actually wore coats and ties.

We suppose times have changed.

Kids today....

No comments:

Post a Comment