Sunday, April 16, 2017

15 Years On

15 years ago today.

My wife and I were about 1 year in NJ and living in a rustic old farmhouse in Peapack.

It was finals week for me, the last finals in my BA from American Public University (online). In this case I had to write a term paper on the Duke of Marlborough. It was unseasonably hot that week, I mean into the 90's. All week I had the windows open, the house was warm and humid, the air just seemed to hang there. Mrs. Stroock was away on business so it was just me and the cats.

This was one of the most important weeks of my life. That paper had to be 7,000 words and it was due in three days. I wrote it in the first two days and edited it on the third. That's right, 3500 words a day. I still have no idea how I did it.

That Saturday we went to a Yankees-Jays game. Roy Halladay started.  We sat next to a nice Canadian couple who peppered us with questions about Yankee Stadium. Then it was up to my folks house for the night.

Anyway that paper eventually became a feature in Strategy & Tactics Magazine, (you can read the whole thing at the link)  I had published a few pieces by the time Marlborough got printed, but this was my first cover piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment