Monday, March 13, 2017

Metal Monday

Belfast Rocks Edition

Anyone whose ever read A Line through the Desert knows Sgt. Jake Bloom loves hard rock. He'd love this band I'm about to talk about and you'll see them in the ALTD sequel.

Back in 2008 I saw three AC/DC shows on their Black Ice Tour. It was glorious. I caught the first show in Pottstown PA. The opening act came on, some band I'd never heard of.  They opened with this:

I've been hooked ever since the first riff.

That band is the Answer, Belfast's answer to Rock and Roll glory. They sound like they came out of the 70's with grinding vocals reminiscent of Paul Rodgers and Free, and searing hooks, and guitar licks worthy of anything one might have heard on a retro-classic rock station. In fact I recently saw an interview with the lead singer and he was asked what his favorite hook is and he replied, 'All Right Now.'

Good lord he can sing.

Rise is their first album they've put out six all together. What follows is a listing of their first four albums with their best and or most interesting songs:

Rise A ridiculously good debut
Best Song: The first three. All hard hitting
Most Interesting: Memphis Water. A classic steel guitar blues song
Weakness: Minor, but there's really no 'stake' song, that one tune that holds down the whole album where the listener says, 'Yes, this is the one'.

Everyday Demons This is their best album
Best Song: Walking Matt. An anthem 'I'm not your walking matt'
Most Interesting: Comfort Zone. Sincere love overture, 'Can I embrace, a moment with you, don't need a lifetime a moment will do. Cause I missed my chance a thousand times before. I swear that I ain't gonna miss no more.'

Revival This one took a bit to grow on me, but now I love it
Best Song: Waste Your Tears
Most Interesting: Tornado. Sounds like its name, 'You're my tornado...'

New Horizon Heavily grunge influenced
Best Song: Call Yourself a Friend.
Most Interesting: Spectacular

Their latest is Solas, which is very different from their other work, but very good and very interesting. Imagine if Led Zeppelin's Presence was any good. There you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment