Friday, March 10, 2017

Indian Victory in Bangladesh

So I got my start writing magazine articles. Even though I've had a few out last year, I really don't do it much anymore. Writing in magazines has taken me as far as it's going to take me. The rates aren't great and you're at the mercy of editors who may well forget they even have your stuff (I'm looking at you Decision Games) only to see it flushed out a decade later (not kidding, Decision Games).

Anyway a lot of my stuff over time has found its way to various magazine internet archives. Below is Indian Victory in Bangladesh.

I wrote it just after the great Indian war hero Sam Manekshaw died in 2008 and I stole his name for my story about the 1st Indian Armoured Division battling aliens in To Defend the Earth.

Many of the photos in the article I got myself. I had to call India at five in the morning to do. Their defense mnistry's PR department was quite surprised. Overall the were very responsive and sent me the exact ten photos I requested.

Anyway here's Indian Victory in Bangladesh:
While India began a slow, steady climb toward a stable and prosperous democracy, Pakistan fell victim to military coups in 1958 and 1968. The coups, led by the West Pakistani military, only served to exacerbate the already growing rift with East Pakistan, which felt largely ignored and taken advantage of by the western part of the country. In the early 1960s, East Pakistanis, led by Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, began agitating for reform and called for the ruling government in West Pakistan to relinquish control of all domestic affairs in the east. When Sheikh Mujibur’s Awami League won an absolute majority in the national assembly elections in the fall of 1970, the military government of General Yahya Khan refused to call the assembly to order and appointed a new military governor for the east. This move, in turn, sparked outrage in East Pakistan and led to massive and sometimes violent demonstrations....

No comments:

Post a Comment